The Human Beast (La bête humaine) DVD
Based on the classic Émile Zola novel, Jean Renoir's La bête humaine was one of the legendary director's greatest popular successes—and earned star Jean Gabin a permanent place in the hearts of his countrymen. Part poetic realism, part film noir, the film is a hard-boiled and suspenseful journey into the tormented psyche of a workingman.
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the original uncensored version
- Introduction to the film by Jean Renoir
- New interview with director Peter Bogdanovich
- Archival footage of Renoir directing actress Simone Simon, and interviews with Renoir, Émile Zola scholar Henri Mitterand, and others on adapting Zola to the screen
- Gallery of on-set photographs and theatrical posters
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- A booklet featuring critic Geoffrey O’Brien, film historian Ginette Vincendeau, and production designer Eugène Lourié
DVD format. Black and white. Running time: 96 minutes (exclusive of special features). In French with English subtitles.